Friday, April 08, 2005

Microsoft and the thumb based interface

Microsoft Research scientists claim to have designed a revolutionary new input device to facilitate easier use of PDAs and mobile phones:

In their paper, the researchers detailed thumb-as-stylus designs that allow users to operate hand-held devices using only one hand. Although existing stylus-based gesture systems do not preclude the use of the thumb, no systems have been specifically designed to be operated using the thumb, according to the researchers.


Excuse my naivety, but isn't that how I control my iPod every day?? I stroke the trackpad with my thumb whilst holding the iPod in the same hand for one-handed thumb-driven action

Is this not just a case of Microsoft trying to take the credit for something which was invented by someone else?

No comments: