Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Opinion piece pulled from the Telegraph about Kenneth Bigley

A piece by Mark Steyn which was pulled from the Telegraph. It's easy to see why as it is not mawkishly sentimental about the tragedy of the death of Kenneth Bigley in Iraq. I have to say that I have been perplexed by this latest example of DI-death-syndrome where Britain goes into an irrational frenzy of emotionalism.

Now that's not to say that I don't feel sorrow for Bigley's family, I just don't see why the world must stop for this one guy when I doubt it's possible to find a list of the names of the innocent Iraqui dead.

The article goes further in suggesting that if anything, this overdose of emotionalism makes it more likely that people will be kidnapped and murder now the insurgents know what an easy target for emotional manipulation the British are.

No comments: